SCA Roasting Professional
SCA Roasting Professional
The SCA Roasting Professional course gives you everything you need to become a master roaster. Here you will learn the skills you need as a manager to plan and execute quality control.
- Ability to control and match the colour within different and specified time limits
- Identity by visual assessment of different roast colours
- Identify by sensory analysis of different roasting profiles of the same colour with varying development time and rate of change by using the official roasting evaluation form.
- Create, discuss and analyse profiles using terminology from the keyword list
- Configuration and use of roast profile software
- Perform calculation on the rate of change on a known roast curve
- Understand and analyse roasting operation using workflow optimization methods including LEAN production and PIC concepts
- Describe the tow main browning reactions in terms of sequence and flavour development and which basic molecules are involved in the different browning reactions
- Explain the principles of heat transfer, how the heat enters and distributes inside the bean and how they are generally applied to the roasting process
- Describe how/which types of heat transfer are adjustable during the roasting process including different roasting technologies
- Visual identification of roasting defects on bean and/or pictures. Scorching, Tipping and facing
- Shelf life: Degassing and valves. Barrier material. Flushing. Grinding
- Blending: Pre/post considerations, bean selection, number of components, product purpose (espresso, filter, milk, sugar)
- Green coffee selection
- Roast profile evaluation. The roast profile evaluation form
- Quality control methods (In/out, triangulation)
- Downstream quality control
CHEMICAL and Physical transformations:
- Describe Green coffee chemistry and the relevant transformations during roasting
- Describe the chemical differences of processing methods during roasting and how they impact on colour and flavour.
- Gas formation
- Acid degradation and formation
- Physical reasons for solubility
- Chemical reason for solubility
- Chemical causes of roast colour and its importance.
SCA Roasting Professional course – 24 hours training required over 4 days
SCA Prerequisite for Roasting Professional is as follows: - If you don’t have the following but regularly cup so have good sensory skills please still enquire.
SCA Roasting Intermediate level
SCA Sensory Intermediate level
SCA Green Intermediate Level
Pricing includes VAT, the SCA examinations and certification